The Source of Life Religious Education curriculum responds to the contemporary context by having the following features:
- Its reference points for content are Sacred Scripture, Tradition and the Church’s Magisterium, particularly as expressed in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
- Its reference points for methodology are found in the General Directory for Catechesis and the Church’s documents on evangelisation in Catholic education, catechesis and religious education; the commitment to a critical and creative adaptation of Shared Christian Praxis with an awareness of recontextualisation and the hermeneutical communicative model as suggested by Enhancing Catholic School Identity research and theology; and current research on teaching and learning.
- Its reference point for curriculum structure is standards-based education as articulated in contemporary educational documents and reﬂected in curriculum practice.
- It recognises the essential educational partnership of home, school, parish and diocese, and sees classroom-based Religious Education as one signiﬁcant component of a broader education in faith provided and supported by all these groups.
- Its content includes a strong social justice focus, including reconciliation with First Nations Australians. Aboriginal perspectives are incorporated across strands and units. Special attention is given to ecology, spirituality and creation theology.
|“We need to look at our communities with a contemplative gaze, a gaze of faith which sees God dwelling in their homes, in their streets and squares. God’s presence accompanies the sincere efforts of individuals and groups to find encouragement and meaning in their lives. He dwells among them, fostering solidarity, fraternity, and the desire for goodness, truth and justice. This presence must not be contrived but found, uncovered. God does not hide himself from those who seek him with a sincere heart, even though they do so tentatively, in a vague and haphazard manner.”
Pope Francis, Evangelii Gaudium (2013), n.71.
Understanding the Word of God
Part One: The Canon of Sacred Scripture
Part Two: Vatican II on Inspiration
Part Three - Spiritual and Literal Sense
For Fr Brians Notes, please Click Here
Tradition or tradition
audio from Maria coming soon
The Catholic Church and the Magesterium