This page provides advice to parents and school communities about COVID-19 (Coronavirus) in 2022.
COVIDSafe principles for schools
The principles for maintaining a COVIDSafe school apply to all Victorian schools: specialist and mainstream, government, independent and Catholic. They are aligned with Victoria’s COVIDSafe principles for business and acknowledge the unique school setting as both a place of work for staff and a learning environment for children and young people, drawing on local and international literature.
A combination of strategies is required to minimise transmission risk. No single strategy completely reduces risk and not every measure will always be possible in all educational settings. Where some controls are not feasible, others should be enhanced. Strategies should also be adjusted over time in line with changing risk of transmission in the community.
The School Operations Guide provides point-in-time and detailed advice on specific activities and operations for all schools, informed by COVIDSafe principles and Department of Health advice.
Reinforce COVIDSafe behaviours*
- Stay home when unwell.*
- Practise good hygiene.*
- Ensure physical distancing (1.5m).*
- Wear a face mask*.
- Avoid interactions in enclosed spaces.*
Create COVIDSafe spaces
- Make hand hygiene easy.
- Keep surfaces clean and implement regular cleaning and disinfection.
- Promote outdoor air ventilation and do not have air conditioners on recirculate.
Promote COVIDSafe activities
- Move activities outdoors where possible, weather permitting.
- Adapt, modify or defer higher-risk activities.
- Limit school access to outside visitors where possible.
- Reduce mixing between groups.
- Create workforce bubbles.*
Respond to COVID-19 risk*
- Keep records and act quickly if someone becomes unwell.*
- Use personal protective equipment where indicated.
- Clean and disinfect appropriately if a staff member or student has been unwell at school.
- Manage individual risk.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) hotline
The Department of Education and Training’s coronavirus (COVID-19) hotline is available from 8am - 6pm, 7 days a week (excluding public holidays), phone 1800 338 663.
The latest information on the restrictions issued by the Victorian Government is available from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) website.
Translated information about coronavirus: www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/translated-resources-coronavirus-disease-covid-19
Current as of 17 January, 2022