The link to Policies is currently being updated and will be available soon.
VISION - Sandhurst Catholic Education Council (SCEC)
The Vision for Catholic Education in the Diocese of Sandhurst is to provide, in partnership with our families, stimulating and nurturing learning environments in each of our Catholic school communities. Supported within the structure of the parish and the school system, the Catholic school provides a total cultural experience, within which students have opportunities to hear, experience and witness the Good News of Jesus Christ and to respond through serving the common good in the local and broader community. The Catholic Vision permeates and guides the whole of school life.
The Sandhurst Catholic Education Council (SCEC) is the principal advisory body for the Bishop of Sandhurst and for the Director of Catholic Education within the Diocese of Sandhurst on matters concerning primary and secondary Catholic schools of the Diocese and the strategic development of early learning centres within the Diocese.
SCOPE and PURPOSE of the SCEC:
- The SCEC is an Advisory Council
- The SCEC is advisory, both to the Bishop (through the Episcopal Vicar for Education) and to the Director of Catholic Education.
- Transparency and accountability are fundamental principles of the operation of the SCEC.
- In SCEC deliberations, the preferred model is a consensus view, given the advisory nature of the SCEC.
- The SCEC will concern itself with the primary and secondary Catholic schools of the Diocese of Sandhurst. The SCEC will also monitor strategically the development of Early Learning services within the Diocese of Sandhurst.
- The SCEC advises on policies written by the Catholic Education Office for promulgation in schools. The ratification of such policies is the prerogative of the Bishop of Sandhurst or, by delegation, his Vicar for Education.
- Duly constituted, the SCEC may wish to establish working parties and sub-committees which report to the SCEC from time to time and as required. Such working parties and sub-committees will be concerned with governance and not management issues.
- Membership of the SCEC will be determined by the nomination of the Bishop on the advice of the Episcopal Vicar and the Director of Catholic Education.
- By virtue of formal appointment, the current Episcopal Vicar for Education has been delegated all the powers and faculties given to a local Ordinary by the Code of Canon Law for dealing with matters of education in the Diocese of Sandhurst. The Episcopal Vicar will be an ex officio member of the SCEC.
- The Director of Catholic Education will attend SCEC meetings in an ex officio capacity. He is not a member of the SCEC.
- SCEC membership will reflect broad expertise and be drawn from a range of relevant stakeholder groups.
- All SCEC members will commit to ethical behaviour, integrity, open and transparent debate, appropriate confidentiality and the common good of Catholic education.
- Membership is not determined by representation. SCEC members govern for the good of the whole.
Catholic Education Office Sandhurst
The Director of Catholic Education acts within a delegation from the Bishop on the organisational, administrative, support and service matters related to Catholic schools within the Diocese, including matters related to Religious Education and Faith Formation.
The Director of Catholic Education and all delegations via that position operate within the parameters of Canon Law and the Catholic Church structures and processes. The authority of the Canonical Administrators within their parish and/or school is acknowledged and respected.
Catholic Education Sandhurst VISION
We believe ...
- that the values of the Gospel are central to who we are, what we do, and how we act.
- that we have a vital role in the mission of the Catholic Church to imagine and seek new horizons while respecting our tradition.
- that a strong sense of community is dependent on the quality of our collegial relationships.
- that each person's potential is fostered through the dedicated ministry of Catholic Education.
- in leadership encompassing vision, innovation and empowerment.
BELIEVE! IMAGINE! SERVE!